I'm a Lecturer at Cardiff University, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Currently, I'm leading the following modules at Cardiff: 'Philosophy Through Fiction & Film' (1st-year BA), 'Aesthetics' (2nd-year BA), 'Beauty & Ethics' (3rd-year BA), and 'Beauty, Art, & Value' (MA). I also teach on the 1st-year module 'Critical Thinking'.
As you can see on my CV, I have taught courses in Ethics, Aesthetics, Ancient (Greek) Philosophy, and Political Philosophy. I am prepared to teach introductory courses in all of these areas, and advanced undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Aesthetics and Ethics (broadly construed).
Please note: Information for my students is available through Learning Central. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, need more information, or would like further advice on essay writing, etc.
I welcome PhD proposals in value theory, especially in aesthetics and the philosophy of art, philosophy of film, moral psychology, and virtue ethics. Topics that I am particularly interested in supervising include, but are not limited to:
• beauty (including human beauty and standards of beauty, the theory of beauty, etc.)
• the relationship between aesthetics and ethics (including the ethical criticism of art, moral beauty and ugliness, the aesthetics of virtue, etc.)
• virtue aesthetics
• aesthetics and evolution
• medium-specificity in film and/or television aesthetics
• the nature of character traits
• the relationship between personality and character
• virtue theory and evolution
• research that explores topics in virtue theory or aesthetics in light of empirical evidence
Please do get in touch if you're interested in pursuing a PhD at Cardiff in any of these or related areas or topics. Prospective students are encouraged to explore different funding opportunities available for pursuing a PhD at Cardiff, including the SWW DTP studentship.